2008-09-07

 

Oracle 11g Enterprise on Ubuntu

Took me the whole of 1 day and lot's of reading :-)

I first tried to play with Oracle in VMWare, but it was DOG SLOW !!! To give you an idea, my Laptop is a dual core 2.4GHz with 4GB RAM, and it becomes virtually unusable after running in a CentOS VMWare session, where the session was allocated 1.5GB RAM and some RAW disk.

The thing is I don't want to mess anything up, so if I can't use a Virtual Machine, I guessed I could do it using something like debootstrap.

I ended up combining these two resources for the final solution:

  1. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebootstrapChroot - To get my chroot environment up and running
  2. http://www.pythian.com/blogs/968/installing-oracle-11g-on-ubuntu-804-lts-hardy-heron - To install Oracle 11g on my new Ubuntu Hardy chroot environment
Well - it works! There was some quirks obviously, but I have detailed notes which I will publish as soon as I recover :-)

In terms of system usage, it's still heavy but at least my Laptop is still very responsive. I found that one CPU Core is always at 100% usage, with 45% of time in IO WAIT state - so not ideal really, but ok for a experiment/learning environment. BTW: I use the Dell XPS m1530...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?